Posted in: general | hc's problem list | news & gossip | trends & principles

Comments

21 Responses to “Will The Great Recession Create Millions of e-Patients?”

1. New Post: Will The Great Recession Create Millions of e-Patients? http://twurl.nl/nsy7ys

2. Will The Great Recession Create Millions of e-Patients? http://twurl.nl/nsy7ys (via @gfry) this may impact other models too (hellohealth)

3. "Will The Great Recession Create Millions of e-Patients?" – great piece by by Gilles Frydman – #cdhd – http://bit.ly/O9fGB #health

4. Mark Browne says:

RT @healthworldweb: "Will The Great Recession Create Millions of e-Patients?" – #cdhd – http://bit.ly/O9fGB #health

5. Jay Andrews says:

Due to recession more and more companies would be like to shift the health insurance on the employer. Recession would definitely bring in more e-patients.

6. Long story short, yes, absolutely this will happen. The more the system fails to deliver services to people, the more those people will go outside the system.

I was on a conference call yesterday where someone was bemoaning the mass exodus of people from health insurance. Well, good: if those (well-meaning?) SOBs can’t provide anything that’s worth what they charge for it, then let’s vote with our feet.

Somebody said insurance *company* costs are 1/3 of our healthcare budget. Well, hm, that just happens to equal the amount by which our costs are higher than any other developed nation. Hm.

Sorry if I sound grumpy – I’ve been getting *im*patient lately. Frankly I get irritated when I hear about somebody who couldn’t get competent care at an affordable price.

I heard a few days ago from a guy who became an e-patient simply by educating himself while he was enduring the SIX MONTH wait to see a specialist!

This is ridiculous. Who needs a system that’s overpriced yet says it’s too full to serve us when we’re in need? Ridiculous.

7. ePatientDave says:

Yes, @GFry, I think the recession *will* create millions of e-patients. Good post http://is.gd/BL5k. (See irky comment too)

8. RT @ePatientDave: Yes, @GFry, I think the recession *will* create millions of e-patients. Good post http://is.gd/BL5k [no question]

9. This just in, from Fierce HealthCare:

Study: Medical groups seeing fewer patients during recession

This is feeling grim. Survey of 505 family physicians…. “54% [of respondents] said they were seeing fewer patients since January 2008, and 73% reported seeing more uninsured patients. … 71% reported providing more uncompensated care. … Also saw signs that patients’ health was being directly affected by cost issues.”

Related Articles on that post:
    Recession hits large hospitals hard
    Recession causing diabetics to cut back on care
    Family members of critically ill patients at risk because of economy

So yeah, let’s get ready for a LOT of people who want to find health info on their own.

Maybe that’ll lead to the overinflated part of the industry collapsing, who knows. And if we find out how much we can do on our own, then when the recession ends, that part of the industry may never recover.

10. Dan Hoch says:

Gilles, EPDave,
    I HAVE to make more time to chime in on these posts. (I love to rant back at some of your more inflammatory comments)

So,, here’s one of your questions “I wonder what the effect will be on our bloated, overpriced, unresponsive system when people discover that they can handle 95% of things without a doctor if they do their own research. Or at least handle it without insurance, at a lower cost than insurance.”

This is sooo easy to answer. In a word, MARKETING! Sorry to be even more cynical than your post, but can we actually believe in this day and age (especially if you are a doc with any experience with Pharma) that MousetrapA wins market share over MousetrapB because it’s a better mousetrap? No way! Just as MeToo Drug A gains marketshare over MeToo Drug B based on sales force, so the capture of that lucrative healthcare consumer dollar will be based on marketing. The more I write on this comment, the more I think it merits it’s own entry. (I’ll look for an economist to tackle it)

11. Andy Stones says:

HI Dan Hoch,

I agree with you. The more marketing the company is doing the more its chance of success. The number of e-patient are growing day by day but the need of doctor does not disappear from this, E-patient forums just give you an second opinion.

12. [...] Now consider what the insightful, visionary Gilles Frydman wrote here a month ago today: Will the Great Recession Create Millions of e-Patients? [...]

13. ePatientDave says:

@cindythroop IMO the best place to look is @GFry’s “Will the Great Recession [make us all] e-Patients?” http://is.gd/1f9eu

14. [...] Heaven only knows how long it will take America (and the world) to get to the point where people in need can reliably get what they want. (In May, ACOR founder Gilles Frydman asked “Will the great recession create millions more e-patients?“) [...]

15. Pete says:

The thing that many people don’t realize is that the place CDHP’s (aka high-deductible health plans or HDHPs) is that emergency services — where the patient is unable to make care decisions — can charge whatever they want. For example, with CDHP’s, ambulance companies have a disincentive to make deals with insurers — the patient is responsible for the full bill and may be reimbursed only a portion of it by the health plan. Further, the amount over “reasonable and customary” charged by the ambulance (or other emergency service provider) is not credited to the deductible. In many cases, there are no choices — I was once covered by a CDHP and my GP called an ambulance for me. I told her that I was not willing to go in the ambulance and she told me that she felt that an ambulance was the only option given my status. (I was in atrial fibrillation due to anemia and later found that many people go months like that.) The ambulance sent me a bill for $900, while my insurance company credited me (against my deductible) $500. One can very easily wind up with medical expenses well above the deductible in this way.

16. ePatientDave says:

17. Cindy Throop says:

EXACTLY. RT @ePatientDave: @cindythroop Recall @GFry post "Will the Great Recession create millions of e-patients" http://is.gd/53pUQ

18. wow what a interesting post , its really helpful for us
    and i saw this post on bing ill pop back to your site later tomorrow

19. [...] done to them by any professional actor of the medical system. As I wrote  2 1/2 years ago “Will The Great Recession Create Millions of e-Patients?” What I had not imagined was the devastating impact of local budget squeezes on public [...]

20. [...] done to them by any professional actor of the medical system. As I wrote  2-1/2 years ago “Will The Great Recession Create Millions of e-Patients?“, what I had not imagined was the devastating impact of local budget squeezes on public [...]

21. fashion says:

An interesting dialogue is value comment. I believe that you must write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo topic but usually people are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers