About Daniel Z. Sands, MD, MPH
Dr. Danny Sands is passionate about healthcare transformation, non-visit based care, collaboration in healthcare, and participatory medicine. A practicing physician with training and experience in clinical informatics, Dr. Sands works for a variety of different innovative companies. Until 2012 he worked for six years as chief medical informatics officer at Cisco, where he provided both internal and external health IT leadership and helped key healthcare customers with business and clinical transformation using IT. Dr. Sands’ prior position was chief medical officer for Zix Corporation, where under his leadership ZixCorp became a dominant force in secure e-mail and e-prescribing. Before taking this position, he spent almost 14 years at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, where he developed and implemented numerous innovative systems to improve clinical care delivery and patient engagement, including clinical decision support systems, an electronic health record, and one of the nation’s first patient portals.
Dr. Sands has been elected to fellowship in both the American College of Physicians and the American College of Medical Informatics, and is a founder and co-chair of the Society for Participatory Medicine. He is the recipient of numerous health IT awards, including recognition in 2009 by HealthLeaders Magazine as one of “20 People Who Make Healthcare Better.”
Dr. Sands has earned degrees from Brown University, Ohio State University, Harvard School of Public Health, and trained at Boston City Hospital and Boston’s Beth Israel Hospital. He currently holds an academic appointment at Harvard Medical School and for twenty years has maintained a primary care practice in which he makes extensive use of health IT—much of which he helped to introduce during his tenure at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
- New Participatory Medicine Resources for Providers, June 1, 2015
- My Reasons for Thanksgiving: On The Ultimate Loss of Control, Unclear Diagnoses, and Being a Patient, November 27, 2013
- Our Society is hiring: Executive Director, September 11, 2012
- Is Your Healthcare Practice Patient-centered?, March 12, 2010
- Calling All Physicians: Support the Participatory Medicine Movement, March 10, 2010
- Patient to doctor: “Why aren’t you harder on me?”, March 8, 2010
- Why Participatory Medicine?, November 9, 2009